Tataouine Matmata and Star Wars sites
The Tataouine Matmata and Star Wars sites’ excursion is an adventure, a journey through time, and a unique experience that will allow you to discover the stunning landscapes of Tunisia, as well as the filming locations of Star Wars, while immersing yourself in the local culture.
Discover desert landscapes, troglodyte houses, and lush oases that were used to recreate distant planets in the Star Wars films.
Follow in the footsteps of George Lucas. Visit the city of Tataouine with its ksours and Berber villages, and the troglodyte village of Matmata with its famous underground homes.
You will have the chance to explore the desert landscapes that were used to recreate the planets Tatooine, Geonosis, and Jedha, as well as Star Wars filming sites such as the Berber village of Ksar Hadada, which was used for the pod racing scene in “The Phantom Menace,” or Sidi Driss, which served as the set for several scenes of the Lars homestead.
In addition to visiting Star Wars filming locations, you will also have the opportunity to discover the local culture of the region, by visiting traditional souks, tasting local dishes, and meeting friendly locals.
About the Tataouine Matmata and Star Wars sites excursion
Duration : 1 day
Departure time : 06:00 a.m.
Pick-up : Island of Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are in these cities)
Confirmation : Immediate
Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
Type of transport : air-conditioned tourist vehicle
Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Take advantage of pick-up from your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover Tataouine, its Ksours and its Berber villages.
- Explore the troglodyte village of Matmata
- Discover Star Wars filming locations
- Walk in the footsteps of Georges Lucas
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family, and enjoy tea at a homestay.
- Visit the Sidi Idriss Troglodyte Hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane
- Visit the Ksar Jouamaa, one of the most beautiful in the region.
The Tataouine and Matmata and Star Wars sites excursion is a unique experience to discover Berber culture, troglodyte architecture and the history of Star Wars filming. It is an opportunity to travel back in time to the land of Berbers and caravans.
You will leave the tourist places to discover new landscapes, discover the hidden treasures of this region of southern Tunisia and immerse yourself in the local life of the Berbers.
Your day will start early in the morning with a departure from Djerba via the Roman road. Your first stop along the way will be at the salt lake of Chahbania for a photo stop, before continuing to the town of Tataouine, from which George Lucas derived the name Tatooine and which is famous for having served as the setting for one of the episodes. from Star Wars (A New Hope, 1976) and gave its name to the planet Tatooine in the series. There you will have the opportunity to walk around the market and practice negotiating with the merchants.
Then continue to Ksar Ouled Soltane, a very well preserved fortified granary built by the Berbers in the 15th century. It served as the setting for Mos Espa in Episode I, in August 1997, for the slave quarters.
Then, you will continue your journey to the Berber village of Chenini, and discover the different buildings that make it up, such as its oil mill, its granaries, its mosque, its houses carved into the mountains, the panoramic view overlooking the village. And much more.
You will continue your escape to Ksar Hadada which was also used as a setting for the filming of Star Wars. (some scenes from Episode I: The Phantom Menace) were filmed there. You can explore the streets of the ksar and imagine the scenes of the film that were shot there before going to enjoy a delicious traditional lunch in Ksar Jouamaa.
Take the opportunity to visit this magnificent 17th century attic and its beautifully restored ghorfas (rooms).
After lunch, take the road to Matmata through marvelous lunar landscapes.
Arrived in Matmata, you will visit the hotel Sidi Driss, which includes 5 interior courtyards: 4 of them being surrounded by rooms, and the fifth, named “Star Wars courtyard”, served as the setting for the dining room and the Lars’ kitchen. You will have the opportunity to see the cave rooms that were used in the film.
After that, go to a Berber family to discover a typical troglodyte house and share a moment of conviviality with the local inhabitants. They will surely offer you a good mint tea or even a traditional dish.
On the way back, stop at the Berber village of Toujane, an authentic Berber village. We discover the local traditions, the costumes and the typical jewels. Then return to Djerba enriched and amazed by the treasures of this region of southern Tunisia.
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and your sunglasses.
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
- The quad ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person.
- Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
Tataouine Matmata and the Star Wars sites in pictures
Tataouine Matmata and the Star Wars sites in video
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.
- The provision of a private vehicle
- The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Lunch (excluding drinks)
- Our assistance during the excursion
Drinks and personal expenses Optional walks Tips for the guide and the driver