Ksar Ghilane Matmata
The Ksar Ghilane Matmata excursion is considered the most requested and the most sold among the desert day trips from Djerba. In fact, this excursion is a journey through time. From Djerba the tourist town to the desert gate
During this unusual adventure, you will cross the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg, you will stop on the Jeffara plain to admire a panoramic view and you will discover the famous oasis of Ksar Ghilane.
Once there, you will have time to bathe in the natural hot spring nestled in the heart of a palm grove. You will admire the ocher color of the sand dunes which embrace the greenery of the palm trees and you will have the opportunity to enjoy a quad or camel ride in the middle of the desert!
During this desert excursion, you will have the opportunity to dive into the heart of local life, to meet the Bedouins, the herds of camels and above all to enjoy a good typical Tunisian meal!
About the Ksar Gilane Matmata trip
- Duration : 1 Day
- Departure Time : 6h30 a.m
- Pick up : Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are in Djerba or zarzis)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- This trip is approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See Terms and conditions
- Take advantage of pick-up at your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Cross the stony tracks and discover the Tunisian Reg in 4 * 4
- Go on an excursion to the desert and discover the oasis of Ksar Ghilane
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the middle of the desert
- Walk the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see
- Go off the beaten track and experience nomadic life
- Explore local life and eat Tunisian
- Discover the Berber villages of Tamazret and Toujane
- Discover the troglodyte village of Matmata and the famous Sidi Driss, filming location of the famous Star Wars saga.
At 6:30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you on an adventure in the Tunisian desert.
Leave the island via the Roman causeway and head to the mainland. In a cafe, between the fields of olive trees, you will have a briefing during which your guide will explain the detailed program of your desert excursion from Djerba to Ksar Ghilane and show you your route on the map.
Then, head to Ain El Amba, a mountain from where you will have a panoramic view of the Jeffara plain! Take the opportunity to take pictures.
15 minutes later, you will attack the stony tracks of Reg Tunisien. Take advantage of this abrupt change of landscape and these strong sensations in 4*4!
In the middle of nowhere, you will have a small photo stop, there I recommend that you listen to the silence… It’s really unique, and with a stroke of luck you will come across a Bedouin with a herd of goats, sheep or camels !
Around 11 a.m., you will arrive at the oasis of Ksar Ghilane… A unique place where the greenery of the palm grove embraces the color of the dunes… Your guide will show you where to change and you will enjoy a swim in the natural hot spring! This source is also used to irrigate the surrounding palm groves!
A few meters away, you will have quads and camels, so do not hesitate to book your ride to cross the dunes and go to the fort of Tisavar (activities are optional and to be paid on site with local service providers).
Around 1 p.m., you will have an appointment for lunch… Enjoy good Tunisian cuisine in a typical setting! The menu is composed of a starter, a suite and a dessert (usually it is a soup – a Tunisian couscous and the fruit of the season).
After the meal, departure to the troglodyte village of Matmata.
Coffee break in the Berber village of Tamazret to taste a zret tea. (Rosemary tea with almonds)
Visit a troglodyte house and Sidi Driss, filming location of the famous Star Wars series.
Visit of the Berber village of Toujane.
Take the time to take pictures then take the road to Djerba via the famous Ksar Hallouf. It is a collective attic that was used to store the harvest of the tribes of southeastern Tunisia and it includes several Ghorfas.
Discover this unique architecture and enjoy the panoramic view it offers of the palm groves all around.
Good to know
Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen, sunglasses, swimsuit and towel.
It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person
The quad ride takes about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person.
Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or something else) or give tips
The price of drinks on site is about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
Ksar Ghilane Matmata in pictures
The excursion in video
This price is based on at least 4 persons. Other people may join you.
- The provision of a privatized 4*4 during the day
- The services of a guide and a driver approved by the ONTT
- Lunch (excluding drinks)
- Our services and support
The drinks Personal expenses Access to museums and sites Optional walks Tips for the guide and the driver