Overnight in Ksar Jouamaa
A night in Ksar Jouamaa: Description
The overnight at Ksar Jouamaa is not just an excursion. It’s an adventure and a journey through time. You will leave the tourist places to attack the desert, the spirit of the ksour and the natural water sources, and immerse yourself in the local life of the people of the desert and the mountains.
During this overnight adventure at Ksar Jouamaa, you will discover ksours and Berber villages! You will explore the sand dunes of Ksar Ghilane which stretch as far as the eye can see and you will bathe in a natural hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the palm trees embraces the ocher color of the sand!
You will witness a unique and breathtaking sunset on top of the mountains at Ksar Jouamaa where you will dine and sleep in 17th century Ghorfas, after a beautiful evening in a beautifully decorated outdoor space.
You will also visit a troglodyte dwelling and you will see more closely the local life of the inhabitants of the troglodyte village of Matmata and the Berber village of Toujane.
You will walk in the footsteps of George Lucas and Star Wars in Sidi Idriss and you will follow in the footsteps of a local guide in the heart of a Berber village.
The night excursion to Ksar Jouamaa is considered the most requested and the best-selling among the two-day excursions from Djerba. In fact, this excursion is a journey through time. From Djerba the tourist town to the top of the Dhaher mountains.
During this unusual night adventure at Ksar Jouamaa, you will cross the salt lake of Chahbania and the stony tracks of the Tunisian Reg. you will visit the villages of Kirchaou, Smar and Ain Charchara. You will stop to admire the lunar landscape and take photos.
About the night in Ksar Jouamaa
- Duration : 2 days
- Departure Time : 7h30 a.m
- Pick up : Djerba and Zarzis (our team picks you up wherever you are in those 2 cities)
- Confirmation : immediate
- Guide : Arabe – Français – Anglais – Allemand – Italien
- Type of transport : Air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- This Tour is approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See Terms and conditions
- Take advantage of pick-up from your address in Djerba or Zarzis
- Discover the 3 types of desert in Tunisia: Chott, Reg and Erg
- Discover the Ksours and Berber villages and enjoy panoramic views.
- Visit the Sidi Idriss Troglodyte Hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family, and enjoy tea at a homestay.
- Witness a breathtaking sunset at the top of the mountain at Ksar Jouamaa
- Spend a night in a 17th century ksar and sleep in a beautifully appointed air-conditioned ghorfa.
- Explore the village of Chenini and discover the granaries, the houses carved into the mountain and the mosque.
- Discover the salt lake of Chahbania
- Discover the ksours and in particular the filming locations of Star Wars.
At 7:30 am, our team will pick you up where you are in Djerba or Zarzis to accompany you on a two-day adventure in the Tunisian desert.
Leave the island via the Roman causeway and head to the mainland. In a cafe, between the olive groves, you will have a briefing during which your guide will explain the detailed program of your excursion.
Next, head to the Berber village of Toujane. Take the opportunity to admire the breathtaking landscape, visit a few shops selling Berber items and souvenirs and admire the panoramic view and take photos.
Then depart to Matmata where you will have a homestay visit. In a troglodyte house dug underground, your host will be happy to serve you a good rosemary tea, accompanied by honey and olive oil.
Take the time to visit the house, admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesty of its inhabitants!
Then, head to Sidi Idriss, the location where some scenes from the famous Star Wars Saga were filmed, before taking time for lunch!
After the meal, take the road to the hotel restaurant Ksar Jouamaa, a stone fortress that stands at the top of the mountain, where the sun mingles with the infinite expanse.
Between the meshes of its stones and the rays of the sun, in this superb 17th century fortress, you will be welcomed by a team of young and professional people, for dinner, in the restaurant or under the stars depending on the climate, and for one night. in an air-conditioned and nicely appointed ghorfa.
Don’t miss the magnificent sunset from the summit where you are.
The next morning, when you wake up, enjoy a good breakfast in the open air with a superb view of the mountains then fasten your seatbelts for the second part of the adventure!
You will first stop at Ain El Emba, at the top of the mountain to admire the landscape and take photos.
A passage through Ksar Hadada filming location of Star Wars and Ksar El Ferch is essential. Enjoy it.
Direction then to the village of Chenini, and its breathtaking landscapes. There you will be accompanied by a local guide who will give you detailed information on the history of the village.
This is an opportunity to visit the 7 dormants (7 giant tombs)
After the guided tour, it’s time to enjoy a good Berber lunch.
Then arrive at Ain Charchara, a very special natural water source. Take advantage of the moment before going to admire a unique landscape that you will only see in the cinema: a 100% lunar relief. Here we recommend that you listen to the silence. It is truly unique. You will undoubtedly come across a Bedouin with a herd of goats, sheep or camels!
Then head to Salt Lake Chahbania. Take the opportunity to take pictures.
Take the road back to the island of Djerba with your head full of good memories!
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and sunglasses
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the Berber village
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- Do not hesitate to take pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a scarf or others) or give tips
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
The night in Ksar Jouamaa in pictures
The excursion in video
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.
- The provision of a private vehicle for 2 days
- The services of a guide approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- The services of a driver approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office for 2 days
- Lunches on the 1st and 2nd day
- Accommodation in tents in a camp in the middle of the desert
- Our assistance during the excursion
Drinks and personal expenses Access to museums and sites Optional walks Tips for the guide and the driver