A night in the Bedouin tents of the oasis of Sabria
A night in the Bedouin tents of the oasis of Sabria: Description
The night in the Bedouin tents of the oasis of Sabria from Djerba is not only an excursion, it is an adventure and a journey through time. You will leave the tourist places to attack the desert, the spirit of the caravans and immerse yourself in local life!
During this adventure, you will discover the Berber village of Toujane, the trogloditic village of Matmata where you will visit a Berber family and see more closely the local life of the inhabitants. During the tour, you will get to experience the hospitality of your host and enjoy a refreshing mint or rosemary tea. Your itinerary includes a visit to the iconic Sidi Driss, known for its appearance in the Star Wars saga, and a chance to follow in the footsteps of George Lucas. You will also have the opportunity to explore the vast sand dunes near the town of Douz, witness a breathtaking sunset over the dunes, and spend the night in a traditional Bedouin tent.
At Ksar Ghilane, you will bathe in a natural hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the palm trees embraces the ocher color of the sand.
During this adventure, you will also discover the Ksar Jouamma, a magnificent 17th century attic at the top of the mountain.
In short, this 2-day excursion will allow you to discover the wonders of southern Tunisia, from troglodyte dwellings to oases, including lunar landscapes and Berber culture, while living a unique experience in Bedouin tents.
About the night in the Bedouin tents of the oasis of Sabria
- Duration : 2 days
Departure time: 07:00 am
- Pick up : Island of Djerba (our team picks you up where you are)
- Confirmation : Immediate
- Guide : Arabic – French – English – German – Italian
- Type of transport : air-conditioned tourist vehicle
- Excursion approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
- Cancellation : See Terms and conditions
- Enjoy pick-up from your address anywhere in Djerba
- Discover the 3 types of desert in Tunisia: Chott, Reg and Erg
- Discover the Ksar Jouamaa and its magnificent Ghorfas.
- Explore the village of Chenini with a local guide and discover the granaries, the houses carved into the mountain and the mosque.
- Bathe in a natural hot spring in the heart of the desert
- Enjoy a camel or quad ride in the middle of the desert
- Walk in the sand dunes that stretch as far as the eye can see and discover the 3rd type of desert “the Erg” or the dune desert.
- Go off the beaten track and experience nomadic life
- Watch the sunset over the dunes in the middle of the desert
- Spend a night in a Bedouin tent.
- Explore local life, visit a Berber family, and enjoy tea at a homestay.
- Visit the Sidi Idriss Troglodyte Hotel and discover the Star Wars sets
- Enjoy a panoramic view overlooking the Berber village of Toujane.
- Visit one of the most beautiful Tunisian Ksour: the Ksar Jouamaa.
At 07:00, our team will pick you up at your hotel to take you on an adventure! Leave the island via ferry and enjoy the ferry crossing to the mainland
Then head to the Berber village of Toujane. Stop for a photo break.
Then continue to the village of Matmata and its troglodyte dwellings where you will have the opportunity to visit a Berber family who will express their hospitality to you by offering you a good mint tea and possibly a traditional dish.
Take the time to visit the house, admire its unique architecture, its simplicity and the modesty of its inhabitants!
In Matmata, another visit is essential: that of the famous Sidi Driss hotel, filming location of the famous Star Wars saga.
After lunch, take the road to Douz, the gateway to the desert with its dunes of fine whitish sand.
Free time to visit the market square. Possibility of Quad rides in the dunes.
Continue to the sandy village of Sabria where you will spend the night in Bedouin tents.
Settle into your tents and wait to admire the magnificent sunset over this ocean of sand. (You will also have the opportunity to take a camel ride at bedtime: this is extra, payable on site!)
Then attend a demonstration of the preparation of the famous sand bread (bread prepared under sand and embers) after which you will enjoy a good Tunisian meal!
Enjoy your evening around the campfire and admire this clear and starry sky where the Milky Way seems close at hand!
The next morning, wake up gently and enjoy a good breakfast overlooking the dunes (or wake up earlier to watch the sunrise over the dunes.)
Head to the oasis of Ksar Ghilane, this oasis famous for its golden sand dunes, its hot spring nestled in the heart of the oasis where the greenery of the palm trees embraces the ocher color of the sand and its lush palm groves.
You will be welcomed by the warm and crystalline waters of these springs which are renowned for their therapeutic virtues. Take some time to swim in the warm waters and enjoy a moment of relaxation in an exceptional setting.
In addition, you can also visit the ancient Roman fort of Tisavar, which is ideally reached by renting a quad on site as an extra activity.Then go to Ksar Jouamaa. Between the meshes of its stones and the rays of the sun, in this superb 17th century fortress, you will be welcomed by a team of young and professional people for lunch.
Admire the panoramic view, take the time to visit, admire the unique architecture, the authenticity and the originality of the ghorfas before resuming the return route, via the Roman road, towards the island of dreams through the Jefara plains and olive groves as far as the eye can see, with a head full of good memories.
Good to know
- Don’t forget to bring your sunscreen and your sunglasses.
- It is better to wear sneakers to walk in the sand
- Tunisian cuisine is quite spicy, if you don’t eat spicy, please let us know.
- If you have any food allergies, please let us know.
- The camel ride in the dunes lasts 1 hour and costs around 10 euros per person and is extra payable on site.
- The quad ride lasts about 40 minutes and costs about 30 euros per person and is extra payable on site.
- Do not hesitate to take some pocket money if you want to buy some souvenirs (sand roses, a cheche or others) or give tips.
- The price of drinks on site and about 3 dinars per drink (about 1 euro)
The night in the Bedouin tents in pictures
The night in the Bedouin tents in video
This rate is based on at least 4 people. Other people may join you.
– Private vehicle provision
– Guide services approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office
– Driver services approved by the Tunisian Tourist Office.
– Lunch on the 1st and 2nd day and dinner on the 1st night (excluding drinks)
– Accommodation in a Bedouin tent in the middle of the desert with half board.
– Our assistance during the excursion
Drinks and personal expenses Access to museums and attractions Optional walks Tips for the guide and the driver